Background

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Mosey



So here is the leg warmers that I have been working on with my new yarn. It has a very simple cable, good for one like me who has never done cables before.
I had a little trouble with the gauge on this project. I made a swatch with #6 needles and a swatch with #7. The 7s were a little to big and the 6s were a little to small. So I decided to use the the 6s as I have them in the required double point and didn't have 7s.
It is not turning out quite like I wanted though. I wanted it to be fairly lose fitting, and it is turning out tighter than I wanted. So I went to Jo-Anne's with a 40% off coupon and bought myself a set of size 7 double pointed needles. We will try again to get it right.

Yesterday I went to the optometrist for a regular check up. Good news is that I don't need glasses. Yaha. Bad news is that I can't knit with dilated eyes.
I, as every knitter in his or her right mind, brought my knitting to the doctors. One of the last thing that the doc does is to dilate my eyes. It takes about 20 minuets for the drops to work, so I figure, just enough time for me to cast on another leg warmer with the larger needles.
So I open the pack of shiny new needles and I find the tail of the yarn and start to cast on. A minuet or so later I find that I have to hold my work out much farther than normal to see it and its getting worse. I was reduced to finishing my cast on by feel and what I could distinguish from the blur that was my yarn. I was very far sighted, and everything was at least slightly out of focus. Like trying to look through eyes that are not yours and you don't know how to make them work. It was most unsettling.
Luckily my vision improved back to mostly normal in the next hour or so. I still looked like a weirdo with black holes for eye balls for the rest of the day, but at least i could see.

No comments: